Submit a 250 word (min.) analysis of a literary work assigned this week. To do this:
- First, pick a literary element or device that you think is important to the story/poem/play (see Literary Terms and Movements handout).
- Create a thesis analyzing the importance of the term to the literary work. Ex: Modernism is important to Eliot’s poem because…
- Analyze (rather than summarize) the text. Don’t just restate what happens; instead, make an argument about how the term is relevant to the text.
- Use cited quotes from the text as support to substantiate your analysis (required).
- Use APA format. No research is required unless you need to look up the literary term; emphasize your own thoughts on the literary device or element in the work; do not rely on a source to tell you how the device is important to the text.
Suggested topics for week 3 Journals:
- Analyze a central symbol in “Trifles,” “The Gilded Six Bits” or “Barn Burning”
- Analyze how “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock” or “Babylon Revisited” is an example of literary modernism