Applying Theory to Practice and Research
There are four common theories often used in public health. They are: the Theory of Reasoned Action, the Health Belief Model, the Theory of Planned Behavior, and the Trans-theoretical Stages of Change. While these are not the only theories used in public health, they are most often utilized in the field. As a future public health leader, it is imperative to have a firm understanding of these four widely used theories so you can understand what motivates and influences people to change their behavior or attitudes related to public health issues. For this Application Assignment, use the Walden library and select one article for each theory or one article that discusses all of the theories and summarize the information. Focus on how the theory was applied in practice and how this information may help guide you in the development of your public health campaign.
Submit the assignment (4–5 pages)
• Select one article on each of the following theories: Theory of Reasoned Action, Health Belief Model, Theory of Planned Behavior, and Trans-theoretical Stages of Change or select one article that discusses all of the theories
• Summarize how each theory is applied to practice;
• Explain two strengths of each theory;
• Explain at least two limitations of each of the theories;
• Select one theory you would like to use in the development of your public health campaign and justify your selection.