In this assignment, you will watch the video (Un)veiled and write a reflection paper based on the video.
Please use the link below to watch the video.
(Un)veiled introduces the audience to ten Muslim women from various backgrounds who now live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Their discussion about hijab, the headscarf, revolves around a lecture on the same topic that was banned last minute but delivered anyway. In a time when Islam and especially Muslim women are represented as monolithic and beset by backwardness, the women in (un)veiled show the diverse, lively, argumentative debates in Muslim societies about the meanings of modernity, emancipation, and feminism.
Dubai, where the filmmaker lived for eight months, becomes a character in itself, showing the complex face of a contemporary Arab city. Filmmaker: Ines Hofmann Kanna.
After you watch the video, discuss the following questions in your reflection paper:
- Describe the women shown in the video.
- What signs of modernity in Dubai have you noticed as you watched the video?
- What is a meaning of hijab as mentioned by the women in the video?
- Are there any differences in opinions, as women talk about their religion, its importance in their lives, and the role of women in Muslim society? If so, describe the differences.
- How do women react to a law adopted by the French government, in which veils are banned?
- Express your own opinion on the problem discussed in the video.
Your paper should be one-page long (approximately 500 words), single-spaced, font 12.