Week 1 – Assignment
Considering Your Research Topic
Over the five weeks of this class, you will put the information that you learn about information literacy into action by applying it to the research process. Each week, you will learn and practice new research skills, systematically working toward the goal of building an annotated bibliography, which is a list of sources with one to two paragraphs describing each source. Take a minute now to watch the What is an Annotated Bibliography? (Links to an external site.) video and look at the so that you will know what you are working toward.
The first thing that you need to start working on for your annotated bibliography is a topic. Although you do not have to finalize your topic until next week, you should start thinking about it now. You are encouraged to choose a topic that is related to your major and that you find interesting. You will be working with this topic for the full five weeks of this class, so it should be something that you will not get bored with. If you have difficulty thinking of a topic, you can look at this list (Links to an external site.) for ideas.
This week’s assignment is to write a short essay discussing your thoughts about and past experiences with research as well as the topic that you are considering for your annotated bibliography. Be sure to use theand write an essay that addresses the following requirements:
- At least one experience you have had doing research in the past. This can be research for a school project or personal research, like if you have done research before a big move or before a major purchase.
- At least one aspect of the annotated bibliography project that concerns you or one aspect of the annotated bibliography project that excites you.
- The topic that you are considering for your annotated bibliography.
Your paper must:
- Be written in the first person (I, me, my, etc.).
- Be one to two pages long (excluding title page and reference page)
- Demonstrate correct spelling and grammar (Use Grammarly (Links to an external site.) for help with spelling and grammar difficulties.)
- Use correct APA citations of outside sources.
Take a look at theto get an idea of what is expected of you.