This essay assignment asks you to do online research on youth gender roles in sports and physical activity combined with content from Lesson 8 materials.
- One 3-4 page (750-1000 word) connected response paper
Perform the following tasks:
Following online research of youth gender roles in sports and physical activity , respond to the corresponding questions that appear below.
Think critically about the connections between age-appropriate development, physical activities, gender, and special physical needs.
- What are some of the significant differences in the physical capabilities of older children—over five years old, verses younger children—under five years old?
- How do older children benefit from physical activities?
- Why are some children more apt to participate in sports and other physical activities than others?
- What are the potential consequences for children who do not participate in sports and other physical activities?
- How can child care professionals work to encourage all students, no matter their gender, size, or physical make-up, to participate in sports and other physical activities?
- How might we as a society get closer to full inclusion in sports and other physical activities both in and out of school environments?