The objective of this project is to develop a research paper on an area of emerging technology. Approach the project as if you were recommending technology implementation initiatives to your corporation’s technology planning committee. The analysis will have two sections.
- First, examine the view that suggests that the technology you choose is a good emerging technology. Then, discuss the implications for stakeholders (implications for the corporation, such as cost/benefit analysis); integration considerations; the impact on the company’s employees; and operational concerns (i.e., increased productivity/efficiency, short-term challenges versus long-term benefits) for management, technical staff, nontechnical staff, the company’s customers and clients, and other business partners of your selected corporation.
- Second, contrast and compare the benefits of the emerging technology you chose with past successful or unsuccessful telecommunications technologies you have in place. To what extent should the corporation change its technology foundation? Include current information on how the technology works. If you believe this is the best choice for the corporation, provide your rationale. Please examine and discuss each element of this objective.
Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Discussion topic.
The analysis (your final paper) will have at least six sections (or more) and be 10–15 pages in length. It will be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman font. Your paper should include the following sections and topics (where appropriate).
- Introduction: Introduce and define the technology you plan on recommending to management.
- Summary of Technology/Problem Solution: A brief summary of the technology selected and the problem it solves or process it enhances.
- Network Diagram: A network diagram of the existing network or a planned network (where appropriate). (You do not need to add wiring details or specs.)
- Application of Telecommunications and Advanced Networking Technology Theory: Apply at least five of the telecommunication technology theories learned this semester to the emerging technology issue in order to determine how each theory would address or is related to the issue or area you are covering. (Required)
- Structured Cabling Issues (where appropriate)
- LAN Integration Issues (where appropriate)
- WAN Integration Issues (where appropriate)
- Technical Specifications: Technical specifications on the technology selected
- Feasibility Study: Is it feasible? Discuss why the company should make the investment.
- Operations Plan: Include an operations plan in your paper (where appropriate).
- Other: Any other technology considerations and factors you would like to recommend.
- Conclusion: Briefly summarize what your paper discussed and the conclusion(s) you reached in the paper.
|Total Content and Style Points||50|
|Total Content and Style Points||260|
|Week 2: Submit Topic Proposal provided by Sunday in Week 2||50||16|
|Week 7: Submit Final Paper (grade includes total content and style points detailed above)||260||84|
Grading and Deliverables
Course Project (310 points earned throughout the term)
Week 1 (0 points) – Begin formulating your ideas for your Course Project. Download the “NETW471CourseProjecGradingRubric” document in Doc Sharing, which gives further detail on how you will be graded on the final submission of your Course Project. As we begin covering some of the “advanced networking” concepts in the threads, begin formulating your ideas by doing the following.
- Threaded Discussions: Research the textbook for some of the topics we are covering in the threads that might be relevant to your potential topic, and begin engaging in discussion with your classmates throughout the semester.
- The Internet/industry magazines: Look at some of the industry magazines on the Internet (a list is located in Doc Sharing) and other relevant websites that contain current and relevant information on emerging technologies in the advanced networking and telecommunications technology marketplace.
- Course Syllabus: Look ahead at the course Syllabus for some of the relevant chapters and topics we will be covering during the semester that should be included as part of your Course Project and research paper.
Develop your project plan – Begin working on your project plan.
Week 2 (50 points) – Topic proposal due – This week, you will hand in your topic proposal. Below is what is required for it.
- A cover page (title of paper, course number and name, your full name, semester name, professor’s name, date)
- A second page briefly describing (in about three sentences) the area of telecommunications you will be studying and addressing in your paper. There are many, many topics to choose from. Here are a few example topics:
- video systems;
- wireless telephony;
- wave division multiplexing;
- enterprise and wide area networks;
- enterprise and wide area networks; and
- Submission instructions: Click on the Dropbox tab at the top of your screen and place the assignment in the “Week2: Course Project” Dropbox.
Week 7 (260 points) – Complete Course Project Due – A comprehensive Course Project Rubric titled “NETW471CourseProjecGradingRubric” is available to you in Doc Sharing.
Final Project due date: Week 7
Handing it in –When you are satisfied with your complete Course Project, you will submit your document for grading to the appropriate Dropbox located on the silver tab at the top of this page.
Please note: Plagiarism is a violation of the Academic Integrity code of this institution and will not be tolerated. The plagiarism policy applies to every aspect of DVUO coursework, including threaded discussions, exams, quizzes, essays, assignments, and so on. It is important that students fully cite any text they apply to their work. Please see the materials in Doc Sharing and the Webliography on APA to learn how to avoid plagiarism. If you copy from, rely on, or paraphrase from your text or from any other source, you must include in-text citations. For any source other than your text, you must also include the proper reference material, including the full URL and date accessed if the source is on the Web. Failure to do so is a violation of DeVry Academic Standards and will mean a zero for your assignment and an investigation of plagiarism by Student Services. You will be working on your Course Project all term. In Week 6, you must put together the documents and create a successful proposal. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me via telephone or e-mail for assistance.
- Papers must be 10–15 pages (not including the cover page, diagrams, and reference page) in length. They must be double-spaced, with 12-point Times New Roman font, and must include a cover page, table of contents, introduction, body of the report, summary or conclusion, and works cited.
- This is a technical-type writing assignment, and references are very important. At least five authoritative outside references are required (and at least three of these must be from the last 12 months). Anonymous authors are not acceptable. These should be listed on the last page, titled “Works Cited.”
- Appropriate citations are required.
- All DeVry University policies are in effect, including the plagiarism policy.
- Any questions about this paper may be discussed in the weekly Q & A Discussion topic.